Community, Top News, Uncategorised
Top News, Useful tools
How to Apply for The Childcare Subsidy
06 July, 2021
Did you know that the Australian Government offers assistance to families, to help make childcare more accessible? It’s called the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) scheme, and you could be eligible. Find out how to apply for childcare support, the claim process, subsidy payment calculation and more.
What is the childcare subsidy?
Knowing how important access to childcare is to Australian families, the federal government offers parents fee assistance in the form of the CCS. From July 2022, the CCS will offer more support to families with multiple children under the age of six. The annual cap will also be removed.
Did you know that Edge Early Learning is an approved childcare subsidy provider? That means lower out-of-pocket costs for you, while your child benefits from our Active Early Learning and inquiry-based approach.
Who is eligible to get childcare subsidy payments?
The CCS is available to anyone who cares for a child 13 years or younger who is not attending secondary school, uses an approved childcare service, is responsible for paying the childcare fees and meets residency and immunisation requirements. You must also care for your child for a minimum of two nights per fortnight.
The subsidy amount you receive depends on additional factors, including:
- Household income
- Service type
- Amount of work-related activities per fortnight
If you still need some help finding out if you qualify for CCS, don’t hesitate to call your local Edge Early Learning Centre. Click here to find your local centre.
How to calculate your childcare subsidy payment?
The amount received through subsidy payments depends on your circumstances, and there are government resources available to assist in the calculation of the subsidiary payments.
Learn more about calculating your expected subsidy at Edge Early Learning, here.
How do you apply for and claim the childcare subsidiary scheme?
Applying for the CCS is simple, but you should be sure to apply early – before your child’s first day of childcare – to be safe. Here is how to apply for the childcare subsidy:
- Set up a MyGov account (if you don’t have one already) and ensure you have a customer reference number
- Set up your Centrelink online account through MyGov
- Prove your identity through documentation to be able to claim payments (you can do this online or in-person)
- Gather supporting documents including payslips, birth certificate, and medical records
- Submit supporting documents in your Centrelink online account or the express plus Centrelink mobile app. You can also mail, fax, or visit a service centre.
- Lodge your application via MyGov.
- Once this is lodged, Edge Early Learning, as your childcare provider, will input your enrolment details and lodge your application for you to get it fully processed.
- You will then get notified about what you’re entitled to ASAP to ensure it is fully set up before your child’s first day.
For more information on the application process, including how to do the childcare subsidy assessment, see here.
So, how much do you actually receive and how much do you have to pay?
The CSS payment amount and the gap fee (i.e., the out-of-pocket amount you will pay your childcare provider, which is the difference between our fee and the subsidy payment) will depend on your circumstances.
If you would like to know more about the CCS or need help with your application, please don’t hesitate to contact our friendly centres for assistance!