Arts and Crafts
Arts and Crafts
Fun Christmas ideas and activities to do with children
15 December, 2023
Whether you like to ease into the festive season or dive right in, we’ve got loads of ideas to help you and your little ones unleash your Christmas spirit.
Christmas. Sing it with me – “it’s the most wonderful time of the year”! And it’s even better seen through the eyes of a child. So, embrace the Christmas spirit and enjoy the magic of the season. This is your time to share all your favourite things to do during Christmas with your children. Make memories together, create new traditions, and, most importantly, spend time with those you love.
At-home and indoor Christmas activities for kids
At the end of a busy year, it’s really lovely to spend time doing Christmas activities at home. Pop on your Christmas playlist and chill with your family, or invite over cousins or friends to join in. Older kids in particular can be really helpful with more fiddly activities. Here are some fun Christmas ideas you may like to try:
- Make ornaments for your tree, gift them to family (or educators!) or use them to embellish presents. Decorate stars or baubles or try salt dough ornaments.
- Bake and decorate gingerbread men or shortbread that you have cut into stars or Christmas tree shapes.
- Host a Christmas-themed movie night.
- Pop on something red or green and teach your kids your favourite Christmas carols. If you’re lucky, they might put on a show for you and you can put your feet up!
- Decorate your Christmas tree. Give your child’s creations pride of place.
- Write a letter to Santa. Post it before Christmas Day and Australia Post will deliver his reply!
- Write a Christmas list, both of what you would like to give as well as receive.
- Make your own Christmas cards.
Outdoor Christmas activities for kids
When you’re making your Christmas plans, choose a few special activities to do every year. They’ll become cherished Christmas traditions. Here’s some fun Christmas ideas:
- Take your kids to look at Christmas lights. You can keep it simple and stroll around your neighbourhood, or map out a driving tour of the “best” lights.
- Take your kids for a photo with Santa.
- Pack a picnic blanket and snacks and enjoy Christmas carols outside.
- Check with your local council, church or community groups – they often host outdoor Christmas-themed movie nights, shows or other Christmas events.
Getting into the festive spirit with Edge Early Learning
Edge Early Learning encourages children to explore their creativity by participating in festive-themed crafts and activities.